Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Try-Athlete, A New Mindset

This Sunday is the big day. I, along with about 7 other friends, will be racing, more like participating in the Culpepper Sprint Triathlon! This all started back in May when I had to go out to L.A. for work and act as the OIC for the All-Army Triathlon team. I watched those triathletes prepare and compete in the race and felt somewhat nostalgic about my days as a swimmer and olympic hopeful (probably a bit over zealous, but in my mind I was). They were so fit and made working out look like fun to me. So I decided then and there to sign up for a triathlon so I could start getting back into shape and compete.

And now here I am, 5 days out from the big race and I feel like I'll be lucky to finish! So I'm more of a TRYathlete (kudos to Wendy for thinking of that name) than anything. What's the fun in that? If you can't win or don't have a chance of winning something you're competing in, can you really call it competing? I've had to come to grips with the fact that all the years of running and pounding I have put on my body via basketball has caught up with me. I'm training for a triathlon but am not supposed to be running b/c of my knee. I'll let you know how that turns out for me!

Can I be honest for a second? Cardio is not fun for me. I hate the burning in my chest that I get when I'm pushing myself to limit or the fact that my legs feel like lead when running hard. Who enjoys that? I think about the blood, sweat and tears I put into training while growing up and throughout my collegiate career and I can't imagine EVER having a reason to physically work THAT hard again in my life. Which is actually kind of sad. Pushing yourself to your limit is gut-wrenching and rewarding all at the same time. I sometimes wonder how in the world I got myself to work so hard as an athlete (mom and dad probably wish I would've worked that hard in school). But at that time in my life all the pain, discomfort and effort was worth it. I had goals and dreams to motiavate and push me when I was training. So it was worth it... right? right.

Despite the fact that my training level has dropped a few notches, eh hem, and my determination has shown instances of lacking (what? I can't help it if So You Think You Can Dance takes precedence over training), I will still be there this coming Sunday. I may not be one of the elite triathletes, but I will be competing. It's funny how your mindset changes as you get older. I've actually enjoyed this new way of thinking and it's allowed me to enjoy getting back into shape (using that word very liberally) while at the same time providing me with a goal at the end. It's kind of nice being a try-athlete and not having the pressures of winning and living up to expectations that you and others place on you. Maybe one day I'll consider myself a triathlete but for now, I kind of like my status as a TRY-athlete and I'm going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts!! :)

Wish us luck! I'll let you know how it goes! Hopefully with pictures!

3 comments:

Megan Kuemmerlin said...

you will do great!

Katie said...

We shall see! :)

Anonymous said...

Wanna race, sis? :-)