Thursday, July 12, 2007

Excellence

I went to my first ever golf tournament last week and weekend (no pictures b/c they wouldn't allow cameras or phones)! It's funny to think of me watching golf and actually enjoying it b/c I use to think it was soooo boring. It's funny b/c one thing I've realized as I've taken up this new sport is, I love excellence. Things like a basketball team executing a play perfectly, a swimmer slicing through water with a stroke that makes their arms look more efficient than oars and their kick like a motor, a note that is perfectly in tune to the acustic guitar in the background, a perfect stroke of a paintbrush to tie a picture together, or a group of dancers all moving to the same beat together as one. Excellence, it makes me happy.
Those of you who don't know, I have picked up a new sport and by no means would I or anybody else consider my golf game a form of excellence. But I have realized that it takes a great amount of skill to be able to hit that little ball and make it go to where you want it to land... eh hem, the little hole at the end of the fairway, not the creek or behind the ONLY tree on hole 15. As I was watching these professionals at the tournament, I was in awe. It was like some of them could just look at the spot they wanted their ball to go and the ball would obediently fall right to where they were looking! They could make their ball slice or hook around a tree and land right on the green 5 feet from the pin. Needless to say Tiger did not have the best tournament he's ever played, probably one of his worst. But the crazy thing is, when I watched his swing I saw excellence. Just b/c the end result didn't fall in his favor, he still was doing everything right and it was amazing to watch. Okay enough about that....
The reason I started writing this blog was b/c I got inspired after going to the tournament and have played golf quite a few times in the past week. And although I am far from excellence, I did have an excellent moment on Tuesday. I shot my first ever BIRDIE!!!!! It was on a par 3 at Reston National! Thank you, thank you very much! And then to add to my terriffic week of golf, I shot another birdie at Hidden Creek Country Club yesterday! Back to back birdies, well not really back to back, but two birdies in two days. And for right now, that's as close to excellence as I've come in this silly little game. :)

2 comments:

60 toes said...

You go girl! In college I got into golf for awhile, it is fun to watch yourself improve.

We saw Tiger at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am back in 2000. It is inspiring to watch golfers of the caliber.

Keep it up.
-C

JulieMonte said...

Monte had a lot of fun at the tournament with you. thanks for inviting him! Glad you are enjoying the sport. Maybe one day I'll try and hit a few golf balls.