Thursday, March 31, 2011

A side note to yesterday's post...

If you are going through a season in life or even a moment that is, in fact, heart breaking and soul aching, PLEASE do not interpret my most recent post to have said that our heartache here in this world is insignificant or self-absorbed. I actually believe quite the opposite. It DOES matter, because we matter. OUR story matters. And God says it right here in Psalm 56:8 - "You number my wanderings; Put my tears into Your bottle; Are they not in Your book?” Not one tear dissapates without being recorded by our loving Father. Whoa. That's honestly an overwhelming visual to me. I mean that's gotta be a REALLY big bottle.

He would not have said that if He meant for us to be these mechanical-robot-Christians, that never felt (or acknowledged) pain and lived in a perfect world. This world is broken, we are broken. Our hearts, yep, broken. And our mender-of-broken-hearts-God, asks us to lay our brokenness at His feet to be redeemed. Which He does. Time. After. Time.

Pain is real. Acting like it doesn't exist does not make our righteousness scale tip to the right or more Christ-like. It makes us fake. My intent in yesterday's post was simply to record the feeling evoked from Ms Gibb's words. And for whatever reason it struck me. It pricked my heart because I am often times WAY too concerned about my well being and comfort in my middle-class world (as if being a Christian entitles me to a comfortable life), than I am about things like serving others who need to be loved.

And that's all I have to say about that (I didn't say it would be a short side note).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pain is very real Katie, I believe that is why Peter so urgently warns Christians to keep focused on heaven in 1 Peter. While God shapes our character and we learn to be strangers in this world and yearn for our true home: we suffer for the sins and lies of this world. So believers must never forget, "The Lord appeared to us in the past saying: 'I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." Since his first thought or you He has loved you, His child. So yes he knows our every tear and holds us in our every trial. uk