Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Triathlon Revealed :)

Finally, the day has come. I have raced my very first triathlon and am still alive to blog about the event in all it's glory! The story has to begin with the night before because that's when the pregaming began. We figured out that we were going to have to rise n' shine at 0345 hundred hours in order to get out the door, over to Allie's, and down to Culpepper for packet pick up by 0600. I knew there would be no way that I would fall asleep before 10 so my plan was to climb into bed at 10:00pm (yes I'm switching to a 12 hour clock rather than military time. It's easier). Well, bed time got pushed back because we were watching "The Great Debators." It wasn't going to end until about 11:10pm and it was good! So I watched it and climbed into bed. My mind was racing with visions of gold, everything I had to do and couldn't forget in the morning... to make this part short... I fell asleep after 1am and had to get up at 3:45am. Seriously.

I was awakened by the director of morale in our group, Melissa. And quickly realized why she was given the title. I walked out of the bedroom and she squeals "it's time to be a triathlete," while doing a little dance to show me just how excited she was to be awake before 4am. Love that girl. Fast fwd through the drive and we are in Culpepper, VA. Beautiful place to have the race but in my mind not very practical. Who in the world thinks it's a good idea to put a triathlon course amongst millions of hills? A sadistic person, that's who. But I digress, back to the day. Packet pickup was fun cause we got all of our numbers and info that we needed for the race.
(#488... tat tat tatted up for the race)

This was really happening. The lake LOOKED beautiful and the weather was perfect. One more quick trip to the bathroom and I'd be ready to go....

(Amy and I... in the same suit... how does that happen?!)

You could feel the excitement in the air. Normally at 6:15 in the morning I wouldn't so much as move if you threw a rock at me. But that day, I was awake and energized to be there! It's go-time baby! The blue caps (David's group) are off!! Now it's my turn. Time for the pink caps to get in the water and get ready to start. As I start entering the water I'm stepping on slippery rocks and then the rocks ended and all the sudden I was knee deep in disgusting mush up to my knees with little seaweed type branches engulfing me any which way I moved. I was almost too disgusted to move. I started treading water while waiting for the horn just so I wouldn't have to stand in the warm muck.

(The lake of muck...looks pretty, doesn't it?)

Then just as I thought if I sat there any longer thinking about how gross this was I may just get out, the horn blows! Yipppeee! And we're off! The first 100 meters or so felt like I was swiming through seaweed, not to mention the arms and feet getting in the way with every stroke I took!

(finished swimming in the muck lake)

I finished the swim 31st in my group. As I got out of the water I felt pretty good. How could I not? While running to the transition area I saw and heard my awesome friends cheering as hard and loud as they could! I was ready for the bike! I was hoping my four rides (only rides) preparing me for the race would be enough. As I go to put on my tennis shoes I realize that I forgot to untie them and then were double knotted! Stupid me. That made my transition all the slower because I had to get the knots out and then put on my shoes! oh well, I learned for next time! Running up the hill to the mounting piont for the bikes I see Amy up ahead! I finally caught her on one of the downhills but then she pulled about 20 meters ahead for a little on one of the monstorous hills. I caught back up with her again at what I felt like was probably close to the end. I looked at her and asked "how much more do we have?" She replied with the wind rushing past us, "4." I thought to myself, sweet! I can totally do this! I asked her again just to make sure, "so how much have we done?" She looked over and said "6.4 miles." I was shook. What?! We have 10 more miles to go?! My shoulders slumped, my head dropped and I thought to myself, I'm gonna die. My mouth was dry, my chest was burning and it seemed like all the down hills were much shorter than the up hills. How is that possible?! But I kept it moving. I didn't die, and I finished. Right along side of my big sis!

(Amy and I at the end of the bike)

Onto the run. My legs are now jello as I jump off my bike and I about fall over because my mind has not told my legs that we are no longer riding a bike, we are on solid ground running. Come on, keep up with me! I won't spend much time on the run because it was just miserable. At one point in the race a girl ran by me (it seemed as though, everyone passed me) and on the back of her shirt it said "Pain is temporary, Victory is forever." I was thinking, Whatever girl, "Pain is now and victory is out of reach!" My how my mindset has changed in the last 6 years. I had to laugh at myself as I thought of my new slogan. I finally got to the home stretch and my friends were cheering me on! Liss even ran with me for a little (until she caught a cramp).

(before she caught a cramp)
I had a little pep in my step because I had the finish line in site and was locked on! If only I could've ran that fast the whole time... I would've made it under 1:50:00. I crossed the finish line and my friend Samantha, another tri participant who obviously had been finished for quite some time, called my name out. She screamed "Great job! How do you feel?" At that point all I could get out was "thanks." So I walked up the hill (blasted, stupid hill) to her and sat down. She was all scratched up and bleeding with ice on her shoulder, elbow and knee. I asked her what happened but it was apparent that she had crashed. I was sad for her because I knew she was one of the favorites in the race. I assumed she didn't finished but asked her anyways and she said that she did. I was amazed! Then I found out not only did she finish but she came in 3rd place. right. Well that did loads for my self esteem! :) lol. She crashed on her bike, got the wind knocked out of her and still managed to come in 30 minutes faster than I did!!! That is why I'm claiming and standing true to the title of a TRYathlete!!! :)

All that being said. It was an awesome experience and I'm so thankful for my friends (Amy and David too!) joining me in this little adventure!! They were so supportive and fun! I'll definitely do another one but I think I'll stick to the Sprint Triathlons. I'll leave the Olympic distance to the Olympians!


JulieMonte said...

Glad to hear it went well. I was cracking up at your comment about the girl's shirt. Sounds like it was a hard but rewarding race. I'm glad you did it. Maybe one of these days I'll give one a try too.

The Wells of Morrisville said...

Katie, I LOVED reading your post. The details were great. I felt like I was there with you. I want to be a TRYathlete!

Carrie said...

congrats! you are hard core!

Katie said...

No, my friend Samantha, who crashed and finished 3rd is hard core!!

Carrie said...

lol. funny!

stephy said...

My dad grew up in Culpeper! That place is humid and hellish in the summer (I mean, it's beautiful but i wouldn't want to be doing a triathalon there!). I think it's so rad you did this! It makes me want to train for the half marathon in November, is it too late to start? haha xoxo

Navy Guy said...


You are pure power! Knew you could do it. Don't give up on the Olympic distance events just yet. They are a blast, but will take more than 4 rides to prep for!!! Train with joy or not at all!