Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Real Blessing

I had a conversation with a friend of mine today. She gets Joel Osteen's daily emails and I guess todays was about speaking over your situations, kind of a daily affirmation type thing. I don't know why but I cringe a little when I hear pastors talk about speaking the things God has for you into existance. I understand that people see verses like this "And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, 'I believed and therefore I spoke,' we also believe and therefore speak" 2 Corinthians 4:13, and then want to start speaking their finances or fiancees into existance. But my question is then, 'how do we know what exactly it is that God has for us?' Unfortunately I do not have a crystal ball that lays out my future and tells me when I will meet Mr. Right or when I will be able to pay off my mortgage... or if I ever will for that matter.

The problem that I see with this whole idea (again I don't see a problem in believe in God and trusting that He is going to bring us to what He has for us) is that some people act upon this thought and then if something doesn't happen, i.e. they don't get the job they were speaking on, or they go bankrupt when they were trusting and affirming that God would deliver them, they think one of many things. 1. God is not trustworthy, 2. They must have done something wrong and our not walking with God or 3. God is not a loving god b/c if he was he would've come through and brought them whatever it was they were affirming. Which in most cases, probably isn't the truth. God is trustworthy. And just because you don't get something you "believed" God wanted you to have doesn't mean you are not walking with God. And God is a loving god, moer than we will ever understand. Which is probably why you didn't get what you were praying about.

The way I see it, God really isn't all that concerned with how comfortable or rich we are. He wants intimacy with us. So if it takes us living pay check to pay check or in a season of lonely, singlehood to get us into an intimate relationship with Him, that's what He's going to give us. And of course that's not saying that we all need to be single and in poverty to really be intimate with Jesus. That's a bit extreme to say the least... But sometimes I feel like we get it backwards in wanting "OUR BLESSING" more than we want Him and that's when we miss out.

Do I think we need to believe that God is working for the good of those who love Him? Yes, without a doubt. But do I necessarily believe that I can speak my own desires and self proclaimed needs into existence without asking God to reveal to me what are HIS desires for my life? Nope, I'm not convinced. My God is a big god and can do anything. And there is nothing wrong with believing in Him for deliverance, blessings, etc. BUT just don't let yourself be convinced that God does or doesn't love you because you have or haven't been delivered. You never know... God may just be pursuing you, in fact, I'm sure He is. Your intimacy with Him is far more important to Him than your comfort here on earth will ever be. Ginny Owens song "If You Want Me To" just came to mind. Her lyrics are so powerful.... This is how I want to desire Jesus.

If You Want Me To
The pathway is broken
And The signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why
You brought me here
But just because You love me the way that You do
I'm gonna walk through the valley If You want me to
Chorus:
Cause I'm not who I was
When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise
You're not through with me yet
so if all of these trials bring me closer to you
Then I will walk through the fire
If You want me to
It may not be the way
I would have chosen
When you lead me through a world that's not my home
But You never said it would be easy
You only said I'd never go alone
So When the whole world turns against me
And I'm all by myself
And I can't hear You answer my cries for help
I'll remember the suffering that
Your love put You through
And I walk through the darkness If You want me to cause
When I cross over Jordan, I'm gonna sing, gonna shout
Gonna look into your eyes and see you never let me down
So take me on the pathway that leads me home to you
And I will walk through the valley if you want me to Yes, I
will walk through the valley if you want me to

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Those are some awesome lyrics. Definitely very powerful. My pastor just did a sermon the other day that related to the idea that we need to seek God for who he is, rather than the blessings he can give us.

JulieMonte said...

I agree and know exactly what you are talking about. I did the Believing God Study by Beth Moore last spring and one of her focuses is on the power of words and the importance of speaking them. It was eye opening for me. That said I also think God has already blessed us but we don't always get those blessings because we are not aligned to him. We need to DAILY align ourselves with him in order to know what he wants for us. He wants what is best for us we know that but sometimes what we think is best for us is not what he thinks is best for us and just because we speak it doesn't mean we will get it. Kind of like a little kid who tells their mom they want candy before dinner doesn't mean they are going to get it. Sure she can easily give it to the child but it is not the best thing for that child. When we ask for a blessing, what ever it may be God can surely give it to us because He can do anything but what we ask for isn't always in our best interest. He knows the whole story we don't. He knows what we need. The more time we spend with Him the better we know him and the better aligned we are with what he wants for us. I could write more but I think you get my point well, at least I hope you do. Basically I understand the importance of speaking words aloud but I also think that if you aligned yourself with God your requests will be different than if you aren't. I'll stop rambling.

Anonymous said...

You're so right!!!!! That is an awesome truth to know and remember! Thanks!