Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Quote_To_Ponder: Q-TP #1

Words. They can so easily effect (or is it affect, I never know) me. They can encourage and they can destruct... They can ease my spirit after a day full of mishaps. Or hurt my feelings worse than being sucker punched in the gut. Who ever said "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me," was FULL OF IT. Who were they kidding?? It can be the way words are strung together that strike something in me. As they roll off the tongue they can sound so good together (in a song, poem etc) or the meaning of those words may pierce my heart with an unforgettable mark. Which ever the case may be, words carry weight in my world. In my effort to record my daily musings and remember things that move me I am NOT starting a Quote of the Day, for the simple fact that a "quote of the day" SOUNDS overwhelming to me. To think about posting a quote or words that strike my fancy daily is just. too. much. Instead I will just post a quote to ponder. A Q-TP, if you will!

The other day I was reading something by Beth Moore and her words hit me hard.
"If Jesus gives us a task or assigns us to a difficult season, every ounce of our experience is meant for our instruction and completion if only we'll let Him finish the work. I fear, however, that we are so attention-deficit that we settle for bearable when beauty is just around the corner."

How many times have I settled with bearable rather than beauty? How often am I impatient and unwilling to stay attentive or open to what God is trying to do because it hurts? PUKE. More often than I'd like to admit. I don't like being uncomfortable or pain, whether physical or emotional. Who does? But sometimes I think I fear it more than I trust God and His (greater) plan. I long for redemption and when I don't get it at my first cry for relief, I settle for "bearable" rather than sitting in that tension of my soul aching and trusting that God is good and His glory is being revealed in some way or another. Maybe not in the way that I envisioned it to unfold but in a beautifully surprising, katie-is-not-the-center-of-the-universe type of way. I too easily forget that choosing God in a broken world means that I constantly must remind myself that my comfort is not the priority. That I am not the priority. God's glory being revealed IS the priority, and THAT is a beautiful thing when we are open and given the opportunity to witness it. I'm hoping to grasp and put to action the heart of that thought consistently before the end of this lifetime. But until then, I'm thankful God gives me more than my fair share of chances of choosing more of Him and less of me. Over and over and over again. Even if it hurts sometimes.

No comments: